Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The Case for a Single Payer System

Posted by Stephen Weinberg, MD FACC FACP

In an effort to discuss the healthcare system and options to finance it, this post will detail the costs associated with the delivery of care.
Each year the government publishes several large databases that detail the expenditures and revenues of the entire country. The data I will provide is for 2013, the year prior to the inception of “Obamacare” in an effort to simplify the analysis. The numbers are drawn directly from the databases. National Health Expenditure Accounts



$Billion
# people
 in millions
$/person
Total personal HC costs
2,725
316
8,623
Govt Admin (Medicare and Medicaid) expenses
37
108
343
Private Health Insurance Admin expenses
174
165
1,055
Govt Public Health
75


Personal Care costs Net of Expenses
2,439
316
7,810

Out of Pocket

325

316

1,028
Private Health Insurance
834
165
5,055
Medicare
561
52
10,788
Medicaid
407
49
8,306
CHIP
11
8
1,375
VA/Military
89


Other Indian, workers comp, etc
212


Uninsured

45


This chart shows total personal healthcare costs were about $2.7 Trillion with overhead of about $286B leaving net personal healthcare costs (the amount actually spent on care) of about $2.4Trillion.
Medicare overhead was about 1.5% of total expenditures (from the Medicare Trustee Report) or $160/person. As you can see, private insurance overhead was about $1,055/person, or approximately 6.6 times that of Medicare. (Remember the prior post regarding the excess costs of private insurers.) If private insurance overhead was the same as Medicare, the total private insurance overhead would be $160x165M people or $26.4B instead of $174B. The savings would be about $148B annually. Additionally, several studies, (Insurance driven overheadNEJM insurance overhead) have demonstrated that the excess overhead of hospitals, physicians offices, nursing homes, employers, clinical labs, and home care was about $172B in order to deal with the numerous private insurance companies. The total annual cost of excess overhead of our multipayer system was about $320B in 2013.
The real question is “what are we getting for this additional cost?” I would argue, nothing!

There is also a substantial amount of money being spent by individual states and the federal government in order to provide care for the uninsured, as outlined below.  (Also from 2013)


$B
# people
$/person
Charity care from states, indigent clinics
20


Federal Govt
33


Other public money
10


Increased private insurance premiums*
66
165
400
Subtotal
129


Total Admin savings from 1.5% overhead
320


Total money available
449



*A study by Families USA demonstrated that private insurance premiums are increased by about $400/person per year as a result of providers (predominantly hospitals) obtaining higher reimbursements to offset the losses from Medicare, Medicaid, and the uninsured. Families USA, Hidden Tax

The cost to provide private insurance to all 45M uninsured (including children) was about $188B annually using the private insurance cost numbers from above. As you can see, there is about $449B available and currently being spent. If everyone had health insurance with a single payer at the current overhead of Medicare (1.5%), we would save about $449-$188 = $260B annually and everyone would have comprehensive health insurance
Seems like a good deal to me!
More to come.

17 comments:

  1. Wow, this piece of writing is good, my sister is analyzing these things, thus I
    am going to convey her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! I simply would like to give you a big thumbs up for your excellent information you have here on this post.
    I am coming back to your blog for more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This site was... how do you say it? Relevant!!
    Finally I've found something which helped me.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attractive component of content. I simply stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to say that I get actually enjoyed account your weblog posts.
    Any way I'll be subscribing in your feeds and even I achievement you access constantly rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You actually make it seem so easy together with your presentation however I find this topic to be really something which I believe I would by no means understand.

    It seems too complex and extremely vast for me.
    I am having a look forward for your next submit, I'll attempt to get the grasp of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good post. I certainly love this site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. If some one needs expert view regarding running a blog
    afterward i advise him/her to pay a visit this website, Keep up the fastidious job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure why but this weblog is loading incredibly slow for me.
    Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end?
    I'll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not my first time to pay a quick visit this website,
    i am browsing this web page dailly and obtain fastidious information from here all
    the time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for some other informative website. Where else may I
    am getting that kind of info written in such an ideal
    manner? I have a project that I'm just now running on, and I've
    been at the glance out for such information.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post. I like to write
    a little comment to support you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is perfect time to make a few plans for the long run and it is time
    to be happy. I've read this put up and if I
    may just I wish to counsel you some fascinating things or suggestions.
    Perhaps you could write next articles referring
    to this article. I desire to read more things about
    it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I've been following your website for a while now and finally got the courage
    to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita
    Texas! Just wanted to say keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been surfing online more than 3 hours these days, yet I by no means discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours.
    It is lovely value sufficient for me. Personally, if all site owners and bloggers
    made excellent content material as you probably did, the net
    might be much more helpful than ever before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I constantly emailed this weblog post page to all my contacts, since
    if like to read it then my friends will too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ι am regular visitor, hoow are you everybody? This article poѕted at this site
    iss truly good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heya exceptional website! Does running a blog like this take a large amount of work?

    I've no knowledge of programming however I was hoping to start
    my own blog soon. Anyhow, should you have any ideas or techniques
    for new blog owners please share. I know this is off topic however I just had to ask.
    Kudos!

    ReplyDelete